Thursday, June 17, 2010

Coffee Break

16 June 2010
8:46 pm
The attic

I couldn't resist. Life has been far too eventful to stop blogging.
First things first. I went for an exhibition today. Not surprisingly, it was on the ongoing FIFA mania. Surprisingly enough, it was a perspective on how South Africa's position as a World Cup host nation is having a feel-good impact on the rest of the continent. It was a photo-radio exhibition of sorts. A photo journalist had put up pictures of football fans wearing their favourite Premiership t-shirts. These fans were little and big boys and girls, walking about the streets, in their favourite footballer tees, kicking the ball, looking happy. The radio in a corner narrated a documentary, with interviews of the people, recording the general excitement amongst the crowd surrounding the WorldCup. 




Steve the radio journalist and Glenn the photo journalist had traveled to over 20 countries in Africa to get their stories. And they discovered that the people constantly talked about how great the WorldCup was for AFRICA, the continent. Not a country in particular, but the whole unit of the land of many wild and beautiful things. I don't think we could ever see that happen for Europe, or Asia for that matter. Continent-pride overrules National pride in the Pridelands. Nice.


Changing the subject dramatically, I now have a brand new lair - The Attic. Well, its a room in a Student House on the top floor, but its massive compared to the matchbox I used to live in and the ceiling is graduated, quite like an attic. Hence the name, the Attic. The best bit about the room, I have ample floor space. I can lie down on the floor, relax watch films and work and write, still lying on the floor. Utter bliss:)


The worst bit, the kitchen is half the size of the matchbox I used to live in. But the housemate in the oppposite room is a sweet girl from Dehradun, the boarding-school capital of India. I like her already. Her niceness and the room's luxurious sense of space cancel out the tiny kitchen and the dingy bathroom.


Again, changing the subject, I received my first ever rejection call from one of the top PR firms in the world. I got shortlisted for the interview round, and could not clear the finish line there. Had I made it, I would have clinched a year-long internship program with a dream firm in a dream destination. Bang on in Central London, a majestic glass building, a massive floor all done up in black and white with spurts of colour jumping at you out of nowhere. The perfect balance of sophistication and funk saying : We are serious about our work, but work is fun, and we take fun very, very seriously:) But I remain upbeat. I will get there, some day, soon enough.


Till then, we keep at it.


Adios, for now.

2 comments:

  1. "Pink room"-->"Matchbox"--> "The Attic" . Your rooms certainly have personalities !! Office may be colourful ,but alas its still office....u learn that over time

    ReplyDelete