Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Snooze Syndrome

12 May 2010
7:20 am
The Matchbox

One of the easiest things in life, when you want to run away from your troubles, when you don’t know what to do, and are too lazy to think or act…. is sleeping. Not to mention, it is one of the most cowardly acts as well. I quite dislike it. And I have been indulging in it for a pretty long time now. Here, in Cardiff, with nobody to watch over me except the dreaded deadlines and commitments, I have had the opportunity to showcase my slug-like tendencies more than ever before.


A latest case would be yesterday, when I was on the VERGE of doing something productive, something that I haven’t done in AGES. I had begun writing an entry for a new blog I propose to start, something slightly more professional, in-line with my subject, opinionated and on Wordpress. I had decided to write about the 02 fiasco of yesterday. The mobile phone’s network had crashed in some parts of the UK. It remained non-functional for over four hours. Considering that 02 is one of the most widely used networks in the UK (there website states that 90% of the UK population use it, whatever), this was a huge deal. Twitter, more than Facebook, was flooded with complaints. They have a twitter account, and it took them SIX hours to come up with ONE response. This is BAD PR. The comments were downright funny, for the third-person-spectator - Me. Some people threatened to change their networks, some blamed the Tories for the problem!

A bit of trivia there, the Tories guy, David Cameron was declared the Prime Minister of the UK yesterday. The Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats have agreed ti form a coalition government. Only time will tell how stable that is, since both parties have differing ideologies.

Anyway, coming back to 02, they did not respond to any of the comments on Twitter, or Facebook. They did not have any reassuring statements on their website, or blog for over six hours that I was online. After that I slept. I am a slug, remember?

Coming back to me, yes, I know. This has to stop. The sleep-ridden hours have to be filled up with some respectable actions. Else the sluggishness, the laziness, the cowardice will continue forever. Take charge. Be the doer. Act.

Hmmm…interesting thought. I shall sleep over it. NOT

4 comments:

  1. New Blog to come.Nice thing to know.This was an interesting read for someone like me who had no clue about this network problem in YOU.K......NICE

    ReplyDelete
  2. when ur professional life begins i am certain these laziness things are bound to change. i ve also been lazy towards my blog. i ll refurbish it this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Manoj: Thankyo! Glad to know the Delhites have been 'enlightened'.

    @Ajay: Time will tell

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading this one, while I am getting ready for an evening nap... ;-)

    ReplyDelete