Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Of Fallacies Logical


27th January, 2010
1845 hrs
The Matchbox

We learnt about logical fallacies today. Logic is a statement given based on a premise or an evidence. Fallacy is defined as a false notion. Something which is untrue and incorrect.

There are so many of them. It seems that every argument I have ever made or heard is based on a logical fallacy. Sigh.

I will list down the best ones and try animating them with examples.

Argumentum Ad Baculu (Appeal to force)
Not even a leaf can shudder without God’s assent. (duh)

Affirmation of the Consequent (A implies B, therefore B must be true).
Supriya likes Coke. Supriya is a girl. Therefore, all girls like Coke (There go half of Pepsi’s consumersJ)

Argumentum ad antiquatem (worthy on account of being old)
God has been around since Man became a wimp. That happened a long time ago. There MUST be something good in itJ 

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc (with this, therefore because of this)
All boys suck, therefore, whoever sucks, must be a boy :p

Argumentum ad hominem (against the person or the circumstance, my personal favourite)
Anisha Ralhan lives in her head because she’s a wonky womanJ

Argumentum ad nauseam (Argument on a repeat mode)
I am mental because I am mental because I am mental.

Argumentum ad novitatem (Justification because it is new)
The Hong Kong chick dresses better than me because she wears new clothes EVERY DAY to class. The effort some people put. Sigh.

Argumentum ad numerum (Justification because of a lot of people)
Go vegetarian. Everybody’s doing it. It’s the in thing!

Argumentum ad vercundiam (Appeal to authority)
Do botox. Come on Shilpa Shetty does it!

Audiatur et altera pars (failing to state a premises) (I do this all the time)
I think we are all born to die.

Red herring (irrelevant information diverts from the main issue)
Global warming is a huge issue today. It actually snowed in Cardiff the other day!

There are many more. And they are all in Latin. Those who will bother memorizing them will surely spew them for an ‘intelligent’ retort. A fallacy in itself.

All for now.

9 comments:

  1. buhaha boulevard of retorts. you're such a cookie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i distinctly rememeber having posted a comment on this. somehting is nutty abt blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite is "Reductio ad Absurdum". In that it is not listed here, mine should be an absurd thought. :-)

    P = I comment on the article.
    Q = I like the article.
    P.
    So Q! [modus ponens] :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mister! So good to see you on my page again!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bloggers like you are very few on World Wide Web and I am happy to found you. It’s like finding a pearl in the sea, tough but fruitful. Best wishes and regards.

    ReplyDelete